Click to explore spirituality
Providing space for stillness, wondering, reflecting, listening and allowing children to simply 'be'.
Windows, Mirrors, Doors.
Windows - Make us curious to find out about the world around us.
Mirrors - Help us to reflect upon our experiences; considering life’s big questions and possibilities. Learning from life, by exploring our own views and those of others.
Doors - We begin the journey of life as future citizens with opportunities to respond, to do something creative in order to express, apply and further develop our thoughts. We learn to live by putting into action their beliefs and values.
‘What is spirituality?’ Spirituality means different things to everyone based on our own life experiences or world views. Today, at St Mary's church, we thought about where we are, who we are and how we feel. Spirituality is not something we can see; it is something we feel inside ourselves. It is about awe and wonder, asking questions and being aware of something bigger than ourselves.
To nurture spirituality at St Mark's we
- Provide space for stillness, wondering, reflecting, questioning, listening and allow children to simply ‘be’.
- Consider the process of learning as well as the end result. Providing opportunities for children to be the 'boss of their own learning' to express their learning creatively as they explore and try to make sense of the world.
- Encourage the use of imagination to facilitate a sense of empathy and emotion and to allow children to reflect.
- Build trusting relationships; opening the doors to the journey of life.
Signs of spirituality can be seen in
- Asking big questions
- Deepening connections with other people
- Experiencing compassion and empathy for others
- Feelings of awe and wonder
- Seeking happiness beyond material possessions or other external rewards
- Seeking meaning and purpose
- Wanting to make the world a better place